There are few things more classic than denim. Although its origin can be traced back to as early as the 17th century, this fabric truly rose to prominence with Levi Strauss’s design, which turned the material into a common textile for workwear. Fast forward to today, and denim – and jeans, in particular – are worn the world over as part of everyday fashion. If only Strauss could see us now! Try these four distinctive denim styles on for size:
“Decorate your denim jacket with patches and pins of your choice!”
1. Embellished denim jackets
While you want to avoid a Canadian tuxedo, denim jackets for women are the perfect addition to any outfit – even if you are wearing jean bottoms. To add a little more flair to your ensemble, try an embellished version of this piece. Feel free to purchase one with a design you love or find a plain jacket and decorate it yourself with patches and pins of your choice! This item can be worn with a pair of black women’s skinny jeans and a vintage t-shirt for a concert or over an understated and simple dress for an everyday look.
2. Jean skirts are back
Thought you’d seen the last of denim skirts? What’s old is new again, so dust yours off and style it for modern times. Tuck in a white cotton top and rock it with a pair of sneakers for a casual chic style or dress it up with a pair of strappy wedge sandals and a classic button-down for a more work-appropriate outfit. Feel free to experiment with shoe combinations with your denim skirt, as these items look great with everything from women’s ballet flats to over-the-knee boots.
3. Sashay, chambray!
There’s a reason denim shirts have become increasingly popular in years past. The chambray style, woven to resemble jean fabric but in a lighter capacity, is perfect for everyday looks – even when paired with fancy clothing pieces and accessories. There are so many ways to wear chambray, including:
- Tuck a chambray shirt into jeans – either white, dark blue or black, to avoid the Canadian tuxedo faux pas.
- Wear the style over a simple tank top for women for extra protection from the sun on warm days.
- Try a chambray top tucked into a skirt or worn over a dress with a wide skirt. Cuff the sleeves and tie the waist of the shirt to strike a stylish balance.
- Pair with women’s shorts to transition hot days into cool nights.
- Go biker chic by wearing your chambray over a pair of leather pants.
4. Stray from the skinny jean
While skinny jeans will always be on trend, there are so many other options to try that add a distinct vibe to your look. Elle UK recommended boyfriend, deconstructed vintage, mom, cropped kickflare and customized styles.