Bright sun, warm air and sandals look and feel great. But summer’s sweat-inducing temperatures and outdoor activities can be hard on feet. It’s time to give them a little TLC with luxurious personal care products and DIY ideas. Get ready to relax in style!
Exfoliate, Exfoliate, Exfoliate!
All the dry dead skin from summer “fun in the sun” needs to be removed. Check your favorite spa or salon for specials on body scrubs and body polishes. Or you could try a do-it-yourself version. It’s as easy as mixing some jojoba oil with sea salt and a dash of your favorite essential oil.
Try these recipes for DIY exfoliants:
1/4 cup plain oatmeal
1/4 cup water
Mix ingredients together and apply to moist skin with gentle circular motions for a minute. Rinse with warm water and feel how soft your skin has become. Use on the rest of your body as well!
Brown Sugar Body Scrub
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup coarse sea salt
1 cup of jojoba oil or olive oil
Gently exfoliate damp skin. Pay extra attention to elbows and heels. Rinse with warm water and…soft skin!
Relieve your tired toes:
1) Keep a pumice stone in the shower. When feet are clean and wet, gently rub the stone on the bottom of the feet, heals to toes, to exfoliate.
2) Then use a body scrub on the top and bottom of your feet to continue the exfoliation.
3) Towel dry and add a rich foot cream or body lotion to moisturize. Sleep in socks after this step to really moisturize dry skin.
4) Trim and file the toenails.
5) Try some new shoes!
Add Some Color
The only rule when it comes to polish color is that there are NO RULES! Anything goes! From traditional pinks and reds to bold yellows and oranges, it’s all about your style, taste and preference. Your nail color can coordinate or contrast your outfit for an accessory you can’t leave home without!
Try Smash Glam blogger’s homemade nail polish recipe for a look all your own!
“Creating fabulous nail polish colors from your old eye shadow is very easy, quick, and affordable. This is a perfect slumber party idea for your daughters, birthday party makeover booth idea, and much more; it is also fun to create your own fantastic colors too. Warning, this can become quite addicting.” – Smash Glam
Items You Will Need
- Clear coat polish
- Old eye shadow
- Thumbtack or something equivalent
- Glass mixing container
- Baby medicine dropper
1. Put a large pinch of eye shadow into the chosen glass container you will be mixing polish in. If you have powdered eye shadow this step is easy. If you have traditional eye shadow use a tool such as a thumb tack to remove eye shadow to easily turn it into powder form. Use back of thumb tack to crush any large pieces into powder form.
2. Empty your bottle of clear coat polish into the glass container and stir immediately with wand until mixture is well mixed.
3. Use baby medicine dropper/syringe to transfer the polish back into your nail polish bottle.
4. Use cotton swabs and nail polish remover to clean your glass container so it is ready for you to create your next polish.
Be sure to shake your polish well before each use.
-Smash Glam blogger
Once your toes are painted, take it to the next level with body jewelry, such as toe/ankle jewelry or toe rings.
Remember, you only have one skin…take good care of it.
Here’s to happy feet!